Thursday, January 9, 2014

Dijon Mustard Review - Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard (With Recipe for Honey Mustard)

Ah, Grey Poupon. Much like Ingelhoffer, we have no idea what it means, it's not gray, and the name does make it sound disgusting. But ah, is it versatile. It's one of the first dijon mustards, and is smooth like yellow mustard, yet more complex like stone ground mustard. It comes in (more recently) a fairly basic oblong squeeze bottle, but is more commonly found in a neat glass jar, and it always seems like mustard tastes better out of the jar. It also means that you don't get a desolate wasteland of a cap, even though you have to use a knife.


I'm quite a fan of this mustard. It has a fine white wine flavor (as advertised on the jar), and a nice "bite" of spice at the end, without much spice before, but still keeps that quintessential mustard taste, although it is a bit more acidic than I generally like. It's my favorite kind of "regular" mustard (I'll expand on that later), as it has a nice surprise with the kick of spice, and is good on just about anything.

As I said before, Grey Poupon is my favorite kind of "regular" mustard. By this I don't mean that all mustards are the same, I just try to use that to differentiate honey mustard from the regular mustard taste found with most other varieties of mustard. What happens when I don't have any honey mustard laying around? Simple! Grey Poupon has me covered, as I just make some honey mustard with it (versatility in a nutshell). If you want to make it, it's really not hard. Simply take a small cup, put some Grey Poupon (the squeezable kind works a bit better here for ease of use) in it, and pour in about an equivalent amount of honey, and mix it until combined. It's a bit thinner than the stuff you'd find in a bottle, and couldn't really be squeezed that well, but man is it delicious. Besides, by being thinner, this means you can also use it for easy dipping, and even as salad dressing, allowing you to eat your mustard on even more foods.

WALROR EDIT: This seems like a solid 7 poupons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentin', are ya? Very good. Get to it.