Monday, January 13, 2014

Yellow Mustard Review - Heinz Yellow Mustard

When I first saw this mustard, I had high hopes for it. I thought "maybe Heinz has finally redeemed itself after years of heathenous ketchup making." Possibly a bit naïve, but I desperately wanted Heinz Yellow to be good. But it is here where we run into the first of only a few bad mustards. Generally speaking, it's really hard to make a bad mustard, as most of the worse ones are only mediocre, but here is where Heinz gets the job done.

This mustard does do one thing right though: the bottle. I know it's a small thing, but I always hate getting the last bits of mustard out of the squeeze bottle, (which is why I generally prefer a jar), so having the cap on the bottom makes it much easier to get it out of the bottle. It's the ease of use of a jar with the convenience of a squeeze bottle, and the way the cap is designed also means that there isn't the desolate wasteland of a cap we always describe. But that's where the good parts end.

Heinz Yellow Mustard is, to put it simply, awful. It is far too sour, almost to the point of being inedible, and is just disgusting all around. The coloring of the mustard makes it look like easy cheese. The worst part is, this mustard isn't balanced at all. Assuming this is a "strong" yellow mustard, one would try comparing this to Lakeshore Strong Irish Mustard, but this is not an accurate comparison. Heinz Yellow is sour, but the main problem is that it's only sour. There is only a tiny bit of mustard flavor and spice. It's pretty much a mustard-flavored vinegar that can squeeze. Its flavor means it isn't good on anything, and doesn't allow for use in recipes either.

I think the worst part about this mustard is that this is going to be the standard for ketchup heathens, just like alienware is the standard of PCs for console peasants. I've seen the big packages of 2 heinz ketchups, a heinz mustard, and a heinz relish. I've even seen this mustard at quite a few barbecues as well. No matter how easy it is to get, no matter how convenient it is, do not pick up this mustard, you'll be glad you didn't.

WALROR EDIT: 0/10 heinz is evil

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree. Just bought one bottle and tasted achingly awfully sour with missing ingredients. I tried to shake to mix it but still the same. I thought I got a bad batch until I saw this review.

    ReplyDelete

Commentin', are ya? Very good. Get to it.