Friday, February 6, 2015

Creole Mustard Review - Tabasco Coarse-Ground Mustard


Hey there Mustardeers! I'd like to apologize for the wait on my part - snow and tests and things got in the way. Thanks to Wally here, we managed to keep from a total silence, but nevertheless I apologize. That aside, let's move onto a mustard I've been wanting to review for a while: Tabasco's own Coarse-Ground hot mustard!

This is an example of the 'creole' variety of mustard. Hailing from New Orleans, it's a spicier and grainier mustard that goes great on such New Orleans dishes as po' boys. This mustard definitely fits into the category, with it's coarse-ground composition and the spice from the Tabasco. The bottle is also quite nice, with a nice curvature and generic cap like most other mustards in the condiment jungle.

Look how badass it looks! (Disclaimer: not actually badass.)

However, to my disappointment, the mustard does not perform so well in the flavor category. The spice is rather weak for what I would assume to be the classic red Tabasco sauce. The taste is overall bland, which is dissatisfying. Now, the taste that is there isn't half bad; the mustard flavor is there, if a little weak. However, I was expecting a taste more along the lines of a nice stone-ground Dijon, like Trader's Joes', but spicier; but what I got was a weak, deli-mustard-esqe flavor with only a weak kick.

I'd recommend using this mustard in large amounts on sandwiches and the like to make up for it's lack of strength. If you're looking for a slightly spicy, coarse mustard, this is the one; but knowing Tabasco's history of strong hot sauces, this was disappointing. I give this 4 of those adorable mini Tabasco bottles out of 10; it's mediocre, but by trying to be something it wasn't, that made me a little cranky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentin', are ya? Very good. Get to it.